Friday, July 12, 2013

Throwback Thursday

I know I know, I'm a day late, BUT I still must link up because this is one of my favorite link ups! Cara's Throwback Thursday.
This post is from May when I talked about my reader's workshop and what it looks like! Enjoy!
*********************************************************************************
Original post is from May 4, 2013

I have decided to do a post on how I do reader's workshop in my classroom. I hope this helps anyone who is struggling with the "ins and outs" of reader's workshop. Whether you are a new teacher or not! Sometimes you just need a change!

My reader's workshop starts at 9:20. We start with our mini lesson. It normally lasts about 15-20 minutes or alittle more if the kids are really into it! :)

So this week we focused on main idea and did my pocket chart mini lesson to introduce main idea on Monday.

After the mini lesson, the students will have "read to self" time for about 10 minutes. This is when I meet with my lowest group. It's quite and the best time to work with him.

At 10:00am it's time to start centers. I continue working with guided reading groups during that time.



Here is how my students know where to go for centers time. Let me explain. 










Here are how my centers work! Some are self explanatory like read to self and buddy reading, but here are pictures of the rest of them.
 Writing Center- students have tons of choices to do during their writing center. poems, stories, lists, etc.

 Listening center- tons of books to choose from! They have a recording sheet to fill out after listening to the book they choose.

 Computer centers- my students love them some abcYA.com. the best website ever!

 classroom library- where they trade out book to put in their book box for read to self.

word work center- this isn't the best picture, but the word work center is to the right in the book shelf but the chairs. I promise to take a better picture soon! Here they have magnetic letters, playdoh, stamps, magic boards, and white boards to practice their spelling words for the week.

I hope this post is helpful for those who are putting their reader's workshop together! If you have any questions please comment or email me at flyinghighinfirstgrade@gmail.com.
*********************************************************************************
Make sure you go check out all the fun throwback posts over on Cara's blog!


 photo FlyingHighSignature3_zps4182a214.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!