Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Camping We Will Go

I don't know about you, but with the last few weeks of school, I want something fun, interactive, and low prep to keep my students engaged! So a few years ago I put together a fun camping unit that covers summer safety!

My students love this unit EVERY year! They get to bring in sleeping bags, we have a real live tent in our classroom, and we get to make s'mores!

I don't think it can get any better!
We started off the week brainstorming what we know about camping and then we come up with camp names for ourselves. The name has to describe something about themselves or something they enjoy doing. The names they come up with are so funny. One year, one of my lovies named herself "toothless wonder" HA!

Here are some of the things we learn about during camp week. Sun Safety, Swim Safety, Bike Safety, Campfire Safety. We also do hiking safety, but I forgot to take a picture of that. Opps!
We brainstorm ways we could get hurt during the summer and what we would need to make sure we could take care of any boo boos. We learned about first aid and made our own first aid kits.

And let me tell you!!! These babes are making connections left and right! They have so much to connect to in this unit! That's part of why they are so engaged!
And the best part of the week is writing our "how to make s'mores". They work so hard on these books and can't wait to eat their s'mores. For one of the steps, one of my sweeties asked if in their book should they write "next, roast the marshmallow over the fire" or "next, put the s'more in the microwave". Since that's how we made ours :) Haha. 

Some of the other 1st grade classes actually put their entire s'more in aluminum foil and put it outside in the sun for the day. It actually worked! Try it!

Want to try out this amazingly fun unit? Head over to Educents where you can purchase this unit AND get my "End of the Year" Character Quality awards too! It's a great deal!
What fun themed units do you like to do at the end of the year? Are you going to add camping to the list? I sure hope so!
 photo FlyingHighSignature3_zps4182a214.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!