Thursday, August 13, 2015

Five For Friday #fbf style

For this week's Five for Friday I'm doing a #fbf to a Five for Friday I did 2 years ago! Something that has become widely known in the teacher community is the growth vs. fixed mindset. I introduced this concept to my GT students back in 2013. To say they weren't so excited about embracing this new way of thinking was an understatement. I was so proud of how open they were to change the way they were thinking. Read below to hear about it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize for my blogging absence! But Five for Friday is such a great way to let you in on what's been going on!

Since my title 1 position doesn't start until October, I have taken on a GT (gifted and talented) position until then and I am LOVING it! Hanging with small groups all week and getting to work across the grade levels! I haven't taught the older kids in a few years, but oh my goodness! I have missed them! I really do love the older ones!

#1 Here's a look in my new classroom! I had to decorate an entire class in 1 week! The room was bare! And apparently I had enough border to decorate an entire classroom without having to buy any. Can you say border hoarder?
 This is my favorite part of the entire room! And the kids LOVED seeing their names this week as they entered the classroom for the first time. I loved how they reacted when they walked in. They said the room was so fun and inviting! From the mouth of babes.


#2 I work with grades 1-5 and pull each of my grade levels once a week and this week was the 1st week for them to be pulled. We read the book "My Fantastic Elastic Brain". Such a fun book that talks about how the brain works and that it's ok to make mistakes because it's training your brain!


#3 We spent time talking about how this class would be a place to challenge ourselves. If we can't do something, we just can't do it "yet". Yet is a big word in our GT program! We want to have a growth mindset, not a fixed mindset! I introduced the word mindset and we talked about the M standing for motivation.

Then in the upper grades the students had to make up a skit showing what motivation was. The skits were hilarious! Then they had to come up with a symbol for motivation. Here are a few.

Then I took all of their symbols and displayed them on our mindset board. We will make our way through the whole word throughout the year.
Check out my "Change Your Mindset" unit in my TpT store if you'd like to implement to growth vs. fixed mindset in your classroom!

#4 And of course I've been working on some fun fall activities for all of you!
 My firsties LOVE doing this activity and it's a great way to teach or review ordinal numbers in word and number form!


#5 And last but not least, I finally got my silhouette portrait that I won from Hope's from Second Grade Shenangians giveaway! Now to learn how to use the darn thing!

And to leave you with a little humor... Are you ready for some football?!?!
 photo FlyingHighSignature3_zps4182a214.png

7 comments:

  1. Look at you being a trendsetter. I heard about growth mindset a couple of years ago in a staff meeting but it's really taken off this summer, hasn't it? I think it is something that a LOT of GT students need to learn about. They are used to being told how smart they are (and they are) that they think that having to work at something is a sign they aren't so smart.

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you did that in a week! I'm so ready for some football :) Go COWBOYS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Scrabble board and the Growth Mindset bulletin board. What an inviting space for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will love your Silhouette once you figure it out! There are so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Scrabble board! Such a cute idea! :) Can't wait to see pictures of your Silhouette projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of that book; headed to Amazon now to look for it and hopefully order it. :)

    Kelly
    Thirsty Firsties

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!